The Fichtelgebirge Mountain Range forms a giant granite “U” between the cities of Hof, Bayreuth, and Waldsassen. The magical landscape features dense forests and unique, romantic rock formations. Franconia’s “roof,” as the area is called, also features idyllic valleys, expansive plateaus, and peaks such as the Ochsenkopf or the Schneeberg mountains.
The Fichtelgebirge low mountain region has also been known for centuries for its craftsmanship. The area has been famous as a center for gold, silver, and copper mining as well as the manufacture of porcelain. Another well-known highlight of the area is the Wagner Capital of Bayreuth.
If you start at Nürnberg Main Station, expect a 2 hours journey to Bischofsgrün 329 or Fleckl R32369. The stop Fleckl "Seilschwebebahn Süd" is a good starting point for all those who want to go to the top of "Ochsenkopf" by lift (show your VGN-Ticket and get a discount).
1 Bergauf-bergab über den Ochsenkopf (ca. 9 km)
- „Neubau (b. Fichtelberg) Fichtelsee“. Downwards to the "Fichtelsee".
- Follow (Fränkischer Gebirgsweg) to the top of the Ochsenkopf (1024m) and finally Bischofsgrün "Rathaus".
2 Über die Königsheide zum Dreihirtenstein (ca. 18 km)
- Exit R32 at train station "Untersteinach"
- Cross the rails and the highway
- M to Grassemann
- from Grassemann to Warmensteinach
3 Entlang der Ölschnitz in die Kurstadt (ca. 10,5 km)
- Exit 367 or 368 in Gefrees, station "Stadthalle"
- W to Bad Berneck, Kurpark - Dendrologischer Garten
- Follow signpost „Zu den Bushaltestellen“ (down to the Ölschnitz river)